- Bachelor or masters degree in Computer Sciences or a related field
- Good programming skills are required: C++, Python or others
- Training and skills in AI, machine learning or robotics is preferable
- Knowledge of classical programming frameworks in these domains is appreciated: Keras, PyTorch, TensorFlow, ROS, etc.
- English proficiency
Skills Nice to Have
- A taste for user/application and impact driven research
Depending on the research focus, joint supervisors specialised in Design, Robotics, AI or HCI, will be invited. UNSW and CSE will provide you with access to the HCI and Robotics Labs, GPU clusters and the HRI experimental facility equipped with more than 200 sensors (available to run studies). UNSW Sydney is in the top 100 universities in the world, with more than 59,000 students and a 7,000-strong research community. At UNSW, you will benefit from an international and vibrant research community in a pleasant environment. The net amount of the scholarship will be approximately AUD 2400 per month, increasing annually. You will also receive a holiday allowance. Additional financial support is available for attending conferences and workshops. There will also be possibilities for a research visit (industry or international) during the PhD.
For informal queries, do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application should include:
- A letter highlighting your motivation for your application including: Why do you wish to pursue a PhD in human-robot interaction? What prior experience do you have? How would you approach human-robot interaction research? Also indicate your research interests.
- A CV, with copies of relevant grades, masters thesis work or publications.
Admissions and Scholarships
To enrol in the PhD program in computer science at UNSW, you are expected to have a degree that is equivalent to a First Class Honours degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field. Obtaining a PhD scholarship from UNSW is a very competitive process. UNSW’s online self-assessment tool gives a good indication of how competitive you are for scholarships. PhD students under my supervision are often eligible for top-up scholarships from Data61.
Along with the documents mentioned above, please send me the results of the online self-assessment tool.
All scholarship applicants need to prepare a research proposal in consultation with the prospective supervisor (around 500 words). The selection also usually takes into account your grades (mainly for the last 2 years of study), the ranking of your previous university, and your publications (if any).